Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It Did Not Take Long

I have delayed writing this post about Lisa Stager's resignation, but I cannot put it off any longer. 

At first I refrained from commenting other than to state the fact that Lisa resigned.  I did not want to speculate on why or to put words in anyone's mouth about her resignation.  I have since drawn my own conclusions from published quotes and demonstrated actions.  

On 28 December 2010, an article was published in the Clare Sentinel, Zoning Boss Slot Opens in Hayes Township, by Rosemary Horvath. 

John Scherrer is quoted as saying that Lisa was "too conscientious and no longer wanted to be frustrated about Michigan Moto Mania."

I wonder if that was a Freudian slip?  Perhaps Hayes Township wanted a Zoning Administrator who was less conscientious than Lisa, as her predecessor was?    Being "too conscientious" makes it more difficult for people to get around. That can be a problem when a conscientious official holds up the yardstick of the Zoning Ordinance against a desired outcome and finds it falls short of compliance.

I have no doubt that Lisa no longer wanted to be frustrated by Michigan Moto Mania.

When a spoiled child can't take "no" for an answer, it is an ordeal both for the parents and those around the child, especially when the child throws a tantrum.  I'm sure it is no less teduous and frustrating when a would be business owner has had a non-compliant Special Use overturned and then wants to continue to cajole and pester and parse and browbeat; and well, you get the idea.  It gets old fast, especially when no amount of the aforementioned behavior will make that square peg fit into a round hole.  And especially when certain members of certain township boards are bound and determined to make it fit; with a sledgehammer, if needs be.

A person can only take so much.

Lisa found herself caught in the middle, and in all probability would have had to babysit the business owner to ensure continued compliance with the Hayes Township Ordinance.  Past performance being an indicator, I'd say that's probably the case, inasmuch as the Mostetler Road neighbors have to date seen nothing that would indicate future compliance or the local authorities' inclination to enforce compliance.  I'm sure that she did not relish the thought of being the Lone Ranger with out the backing of the Hayes Township officials in the matter.  Nobody had her back.

Who needs that headache?  I'm sure Lisa didn't.

Back in a previous post, when I wondered if Lisa could withstand the pressure to bow to an agenda that was more than likely to be put on her by those who paid her paycheck, she responded, and I made her response an entire post. 

Her words speak for themselves:  "Of course you may have guessed by now that this statement is contrary to the views I have expressed about my profession.  Especially since zoning enforcement is the actual job description for the Zoning Administrator.  At the end of the day, what I "want to do" is to just simply complete a day of working at this job in such a manner as to not lose sleep over it.  (Period.)  If that ever ceases to be the case, nobody will fire me because I would quit!  No job is worth compromising one's integrity for the sake of anyone's agenda."

I just didn't think it would happen so fast.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment